Field Trips to the Kentucky Derby Museum
Ready to schedule your visit?
What does a field trip to the Kentucky Derby Museum include?
- Your choice of one of our age-appropriate, core-curriculum driven Education Programs for groups of 10+.
- A Historic Walking Tour of Churchill Downs Racetrack*.
- A visit with our resident Thoroughbred and miniature horse Winston at the Museum's stable*.
- A showing of "The Greatest Race", our one-of-a-kind 360º immersive sound and visual experience.
- Two floors of interactive exhibits.
- A fun learning experience!
What is the cost of a field trip to the Kentucky Derby Museum?
- November 1 - March 18: FREE ADMISSION for all students and youth groups in Kentucky and Clark, Floyd, Harrison and Washington counties in Indiana.
- March 19 - October 31: Admission is $3.50 pp (PK-5th) and $5 pp (6th -12th) for all students and youth groups in Kentucky and Clark, Floyd, Harrison and Washington counties in Indiana.
- Bus Subsidy: JCPS and the Louisville Archdiocese schools are eligible for a $70 bus subsidy. You must request the funding when you schedule your field trip.
- Lunch: Space to eat sack lunches is available on a limited basis. The lunch space is 50 cents per student. Please request lunch space when booking your field trip.
Did you know that 108 of the 142 Kentucky Derby winners were born in Kentucky?
Students galloped over to Gheens Science Hall & Rauch Planetarium and the Kentucky Derby Museum for a joint field trip adventure, as we explored the origins of Kentucky’s soil, beginning with the formation of the Universe.
We investigated the role of plate tectonics and natural processes in forming and shaping the natural wonders, in particular the soil of Kentucky and its role in producing the fastest racehorses in the world.