Largest Horseshoe, 2015
The Largest Horseshoe left the Museum September 13 to travel and will return in a year.
While at the Museum, guests could take a photo inside the Largest Horseshoe! Measuring 206 centimeters wide and 213.3 centimeters tall, (the equivalent to 6 feet, 9.1 inches wide and 6 feet, 11.8 inches tall) the 610-pound horseshoe is an exact replica of one worn by 1973 Triple Crown Champion Secretariat. Secretariat owner Penny Chenery and exercise rider Charlie Davis both played roles in the unveiling, which took place Sept. 20, 2015 in a special event at the Museum.
Louisville-based Eagle Sign & Design Inc. cast the giant replica using aircraft aluminum contributed by original Secretariat racing plate manufacturer Thoro’bred Inc., which provided shoes for the Meadow Stable colt during his racing career. The permanent home of the World’s Largest Horseshoe will be at the Museum, but it will be the feature of a broader exhibit that is expected to travel around the nation during the summer of 2016.
- Penny Chenery & Secretariat.com
- Secretariat Festival
- Eagle Sign & Design, Inc.
- Thoro'Bred Inc.
- Robert J. Diamond, Executive Vice President and COO, Luckett & Farley
- Greg Blasi, Racing Official, Churchill Downs and Independent Farrier
- David Schneck, Racetrack Representative, Kentucky Thoroughbred Association, Inc.