LOUISVILLE, Ky. (April 14, 2016) – Join Kentucky Derby Museum on Sunday, May 1 for Fan Fest Day Presented by Derby Experiences, the Official package provider to Churchill Downs for the Kentucky Oaks and Derby, and host of the Oaks night Fillies & Lilies Party..
The highlight of the day will be the opening of the Museum’s new AMERICAN PHAROAH exhibit. The Owners of the Triple Crown Winner, Ahmed and Justin Zayat of Zayat Stables, have confirmed they will join trainer Bob Baffert and his wife, Jill for a special ceremony to officially open the exhibit to the public in the afternoon.
The Museum will have extended hours, open from 8 a.m. to 7 p.m., to welcome guests for an entire day of fun designed to celebrate the Thoroughbred racing industry, past and present, and the exciting countdown to Kentucky Derby 142!
Kentucky Derby Museum’s Fan Fest Day Presented by Derby Experiences schedule of events includes:
- Historic walking tours of Churchill Downs Racetrack (with a chance to see Derby contenders during their morning workout on the 8:30 a.m. tour)
- Kids’ Zone activities from 10:30 a.m. - 5p.m. including Derby hat making, Derby-themed story time, balloon animals, face painting, group art activities and more. (All activities are FREE with paid general admission. )
- Meet and greet with the winning connections of 1970 Kentucky Derby Winner Dust Commander, including jockey Mike Manganello and trainer Don Combs
- Jockey panel discussion, emceed by Hall of Fame Jockey and two-time Kentucky Derby Winner Chris McCarron
- Bourbon tastings and book signing with the Museum’s own Bourbon Authority and author Fred Minnick
- Book signings featuring:
- Bill Doolittle- “The Kentucky Derby”
- Eliza McGraw- “Here Comes Exterminator”
- Jason Neff, son of late author Myles Neff- “Stylin’: The Reviving the Art of Race Riding”
- Bob Fortus & Gary West- “Ride to Win : An Inside Look at the Jockey’s Craft”
- Kevin Gibson- “100 Things to Do in Louisville Before You Die”
- Jack Van Berg- “Jack: From Grit To Glory- A Lifetime of Mentoring, Dedication and Perseverance written by Chris Kotulak”
- Barry Irwin- “Derby Innovator: The Making of Animal Kingdom”
- Art signings with:
- Kathy Sullivan, official artist of the Kentucky Derby Festival
- Dacia Berry, duPont Manual High School student artist featured on Kentucky Derby Festival merchandise
- More to be announced
- Special Triple Crown Gallery Talk in the Museum
- Celebrity Handicapping Contest, emceed by ESPN 680’s Drew Deener
- Showings of the 360° movie, The Greatest Race, throughout the day
- Enter for your chance to win a deluxe prize package that includes tickets for you and a guest to attend Kentucky Oaks® and Kentucky Derby®
- Special souvenir to the first 500 visitors in attendance from Derby Experiences
A general admission ticket ($15 for adults, $7 for kids ages 5-14, under 5 free) gives guests access to the entire day’s activities with an option to add on specialty tours, including Barn and Backside Tours, Twilight Tours and brunch in the Derby Café!
The Derby Café will be open 10am-3pm. To schedule your Fan Fest Day brunch, featuring selections from The Kentucky Derby Museum Cookbook, call (502) 637-1111 ext. 250.
# # #
About Kentucky Derby Museum (DerbyMuseum.org)
Kentucky Derby Museum, a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization in Louisville, Kentucky has a commitment to ENGAGE, EDUCATE and EXCITE everyone about the extraordinary experience that is the KENTUCKY DERBY.
Cell (502) 777-6148