Kentucky Derby Museum Stable
Right outside the Museum in to the Oaks Garden Terrace you will find our live, permanent stable exhibit. Here is where we house a Resident Thoroughbred and our companion pony.
Also located in the garden terrace are the gravesites of five famous Kentucky Derby winners, Brokers Tip (1933), Swaps (1955), Carry Back (1961), Dust Commander (1970) and Sunny’s Halo (1983). Second place 2008 Derby finishing filly Eight Belles is interred in the Museum’s back garden under a Magnolia tree planted in her honor.
Current Resident Thoroughbred & Companion Pony:
- Bay Colt
- Foaled: February 11, 2008
- Bloodlines include: Mr. Prospector, Seattle Slew, Raise a Native, Northern Dancer and Secretariat
- Career earnings: $653,396
- Race record: 45 starts, 10 wins, 8 place, 8 show
- Owner: Generously on loan from Robin Murphy, Poplar Creek Horse Center, Bethel, Ohio
- Gelded Pinto-colored Pony
- Foaled January 15, 2015
- 39 inches tall and 380 lbs
As a companion pony, Tatanka provides support, friendship, and helps calm our Resident Thoroughbred