Kentucky Derby Museum Stable
Right outside the Museum in to the Oaks Garden Terrace you will find our live, permanent stable exhibit. Here is where we house a Resident Thoroughbred and our companion pony.
Also located in the garden terrace are the gravesites of five famous Kentucky Derby winners, Brokers Tip (1933), Swaps (1955), Carry Back (1961), Dust Commander (1970) and Sunny’s Halo (1983). Second place 2008 Derby finishing filly Eight Belles is interred in the Museum’s back garden under a Magnolia tree planted in her honor.
Current Resident Thoroughbred & Companion Pony:
- Chestnut Stallion
- Foaled: March 26, 1998
- 16.1 hands tall
- Bloodlines include: Mr. Prospector, Raise a Native, Cannonade, Needles, and Count Fleet
- Sold at the Keeneland yearling sales for $800,000; Proven sire of stakes winners & was Leading Sire in Ohio
- Owners: Poplar Creek Horse Center
- Pensioned stud at Poplar Creek Horse Center in Bethel, Ohio
- Gelded Pinto-colored Pony
- Foaled January 15, 2015
- 39 inches tall and 380 lbs
As a companion pony, Tatanka provides support, friendship, and helps calm our Resident Thoroughbred