May 21, 2020:
Kentucky Derby Museum Gift Shop Opened May 20, 2020:
The Kentucky Derby Museum has reopened its Finish Line Gift Shop located inside the Museum on May 20, 2020 in accordance with state health guidelines and restrictions.
The Museum is following state protocols and initiating these guidelines as it reopens the Finish Line Gift Shop to prioritize the safety and health of customers and employees, including:
- Limiting the number of in-store shoppers
- Enforcing 6 feet of social distancing in-store and while waiting in line
- Increasing sanitation and disinfectant procedures in the Gift Shop
- Requiring guests to wear masks
- Requiring staff to wear masks
- Installing glass dividers at the registers
The Finish Line Gift Shop is open with hours of 10 am – 5 pm Wednesday-Sunday, closed Mondays and Tuesdays. Derby fans can continue to stock up on party supplies and collect merchandise branded with the historic May 2 date inside the Gift Shop or online at derbymuseumstore.com.
Curbside pickup will still be offered for customers wishing to shop online. This service will be available Wednesday-Friday only.
Please Note: While the Gift Shop reopens, the Museum and the Derby Cafe Express remains closed to visitors at this time.
Visit our Virtual Museum here!
March 15, 2020:
Kentucky Derby Museum to Temporarily Close Museum to Visitors
In order to ensure the health and well-being of our staff, volunteers and guests, Kentucky Derby Museum has made the difficult decision to close beginning Monday, March 16th. This closure will affect all exhibits, tours, educational programs and outreach, as well as the gift shop and ‘Derby Café Express’. We expect to remain closed for two weeks but will make a decision when to reopen as we receive updated recommendations from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), Governor Beshear’s Office and Louisville Metro Public Health and Wellness Department.
We are staying informed and updated on the latest news and health advisories surrounding the Coronavirus (COVID-19). Our top priority is the safety and health of our entire team, guests and protecting our community. While it is a difficult decision to close, we strongly feel that for the safety of our staff, visitors, and volunteers – it is the right thing to do and a timely step for prevention of the possible spread of COVID-19.
As we receive recommendations from federal and local agencies, we will make necessary adjustments to upcoming events and when to reopen the museum.
Thank you in advance for your patience and support. If you have questions, please email us at email@example.com
March 12, 2020:
Kentucky Derby Museum Initiates Low Impact Visitor Experience
Effective March 13, 2020, the Kentucky Derby Museum leadership team announces adjustments to select tours, exhibits and group educational programs. Out of an abundance of caution in response to the current public health crisis, the following changes will be implemented at the Kentucky Derby Museum in an effort to maintain museum hours and mitigate the spread of the COVID-19 virus.
- Barn & Backside Tours will be suspended until further notice.
- Behind the Scenes Tours requiring elevators will be rerouted to avoid confinement in small spaces.
- Golf Cart Tour will continue as planned.
- Barn visits may be adjusted depending on confined space.
- “The Greatest Race” – Crowd size will be reduced per showing to allow for plenty of personal space. Our front desk will distribute timed ticket showings only.
- Interactive touch screens will be turned off or replaced with looping videos or staff-led presentations.
- We will follow JCPS District’s plan of closure on our school tours. If JCPS closes, we will cancel/reschedule planned school tours.
- Provide visitors and school groups with smaller programming with current topics.
We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause and thank our patrons for their continued understanding and patience as we seek creative resolutions to keep the museum open and balance health concerns during these challenging times.
March 11, 2020
At the Kentucky Derby Museum, our top priority is the health and well-being of our visitors, staff and volunteers. We are staying informed and updated on the latest news and health advisories surrounding the coronavirus (COVID-19). As we receive recommendations from the US Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and Louisville Metro Public Health and Wellness Department, we will make necessary adjustments to our museum hours and upcoming events. Currently, we are open.
Here are the proactive steps the museum is taking to ensure that our guests and staff are protected.
- Exhibits are cleaned by staff daily but we are increasing cleaning in high traffic areas with a focus on handrails, seats, and interactive components.
- We have numerous hand sanitizing stations throughout the museum and in restrooms.
- “The Greatest Race” movie venue and stadium seating will receive additional attention and cleaning between viewings
If you are feeling ill, the CDC and Louisville Metro Health Department recommends you stay home and avoid public spaces. Additional tips include:
- Washing your hands for at least 20 seconds with soap and warm water.
- Avoid touching your face, nose or mouth.
- Cover your coughs or sneezes with an elbow or tissue.
Our museum leadership is closely listening to the advice of health officials and will make necessary changes to events, hours and policies as needed. We will make those announcements through our website and social channels.
Thank you in advance for your patience and support. If you have questions, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Here are some links to resources that can provide more details on these and other recommendations: