Specialty Tours at Churchill Downs and the Museum
Kentucky Derby Museum is proud to be Churchill Downs’ exclusive tour partner. Our knowledgeable and passionate tour guides share the colorful history of the world’s most famous racetrack. Enjoy the many photo ops on all our tours and create new memories from this bucket-list experience! Tickets may be purchased at the door, but spots fill up fast! We highly recommend purchasing tour tickets in advance through our website.
Checklist of “things to know” before you join one of our tours:
- Check in 15 minutes prior to tour departure time to make sure you get on the tour. All tours depart on-time from the lobby.
- Wear comfortable shoes, as all of our tours require some walking.
- Umbrellas are not allowed on Churchill Downs property. Bring a poncho if rain is expected.
- Dress is casual on most of our tours unless otherwise noted.
Historic Walking Tour
You can now reserve your spot on a Historic Walking Tour that comes with General Admission!
- Daily, half past every hour
- Complimentary with General Admission ticket purchase to Museum
Stroll through the historic grounds of Churchill Downs as a tour guide takes you past the iconic Twin Spires and out to the world-famous Racetrack.Learn More
Morning Works Golf Cart and Walking Tour
- April 1 through June 30
- Monday through Saturday, 7:00 a.m.
- $80/person (includes General Admission)
Horses training on the track will take your breath away as they come thundering by. Travel to the Infield and take in incredible 360-degree views of the Racetrack and Twin Spires.Learn More
Racehorse Workout Tours at Churchill Downs
- Monday through Saturday, 7:30 a.m.
Take in the sound of hooves pounding the dirt as your tour guide teaches you the ins and outs of training a racehorse and how to handicap a race.Learn More
Around the Track Golf Cart & Walking Tour
- Monday through Saturday, 8:00 a.m. – noon
Watch the horses workout railside, then travel via golf cart through the Infield Tunnel to the backside and enjoy an up close view of horses, jockeys and trainers, then wrap up in the Post Time Kitchen, which is closed to the public, for lunch with unparalleled views of the Twin Spires.Learn More
Behind the Scenes Walking Tour
- Daily, non-racing days
Gain special access to the ritzy areas of Churchill Downs, including where celebrities “do Derby,” from private dining rooms to the exclusive balconies overlooking the famous track.Learn More
Barn and Backside Tour
- Daily, non-racing days, through September
- Up to six guests within same group/household
- Prices start at $75 flat fee for group up to six guests
Enjoy a once-in-a-lifetime view of the Twin Spires from the other side of the track. This is your chance to take in the Backside of Churchill Downs. See Thoroughbreds in their environment in areas that are closed to the general public.Learn More
Churchill Downs After Hours Tour
- March 15 through September 30
- Monday through Saturday, 5:00 p.m.
Relax and unwind at the end of the day beneath the Twin Spires—even right next to them! Get special access to historic and posh areas, including Millionaire’s Row and The Mansion.Learn More
Race Day Golf Cart & Walking Tour
- Race days, Wednesdays through Sundays, 9:00 a.m.
- $150/person (includes General Admission and fine dining lunch on Millionaire’s Row overlooking the track)
Start your day as a tourist, finish it off as a spectator! This experience has it all! Explore Churchill Downs in a golf cart with your tour guide, watch Thoroughbreds train on the track, access special areas inside Churchill Downs, and enjoy a delicious meal inside Churchill Downs before taking in a day at the races!Learn More
Bourbon and Bridles Experience
- Thursdays & Fridays, 2:00 pm
- $100/person (includes General Admission to the Museum)
- Adults 21+
Immerse yourself in two of Kentucky’s most treasured icons: Bourbon and Thoroughbreds. Enjoy a visit to Churchill Downs, a Bourbon tasting, and learn how to make a Mint Julep in this interactive experience.Learn More
Black Heritage in Racing Tour
- Saturdays, 1:00 pm
Discover African Americans’ profound impact on Thoroughbred Racing, going back to the first Kentucky Derby in 1875 to present day.Learn More
Proud of My Calling Experience
- Saturdays (July 24 and August 21) at 3:00 p.m.
- Exhibit and Live Performance
- All ages are welcome, but historical content would be more suitable to children 7+
- $25/per person (includes General Admission to the Museum)
Guests will explore the Black Heritage in Racing exhibit and attend a live performance of “Proud of My Calling,” which brings to life Black jockeys and horsemen in the sport of Thoroughbred Racing. A Historic Walking Tour of Churchill Downs and full access to the Museum are included in the ticket price.Learn More
Hermitage Farm and Derby Museum Tour
- Tuesday – Saturday during working season, April through October 2021
- 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
- Shuttle service available
Explore the best of what Kentucky has to offer. Hermitage Farm and the Kentucky Derby Museum have teamed up to show you both sides of a Thoroughbreds life– from the track to the farm.Learn More
- Groups of 15 or more
- Exclusive VIP Tours, special discounts, and on-site dining
A variety of custom experiences available for groups of 15 or more. Wow your guests with breakfast while watching horses train, add on a hat-making workshop and more!Learn More
Wheelchair users & strollers, please note: During times of inclement weather, we do our best to clear routes of snow and ice, but it’s not always possible. If there is inclement weather we suggest that you postpone your plans and visit another time.